Hello and welcome to my blog! My name is Alison O'Bryan and I am a fiber artist who works and lives in Kentucky. This is a blog about my work and day to day life as well as bringing you some artist's work that I am inspired by. As I am inspired by so many wonderful artists, I too, hope to inspire others with this blog.

My work is odd and whimiscal. The world seems to be too normal sometimes and it is so great to step outside of yourself and to experience another world- a world of imgaination and fantasy!!!


Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Art needs to be Well

Apparently you are not supposed to take more then 4 cough drops in a two hour span.  Ummm so taking the entire bag in an hour is a VERY bad thing to do just to let you all know.  I didn't realize this until I started to feel really whoozy and then nauseous with some yucky results!  

Yes you all know what time of year it is!  It is the time of sinus infections that seems to hang on to your body for an ungodly amount of time.  During this time you will probably experience a lot of fatigue, low energy, throat aches like no ones business and you are coughing up things you didn't even know your body had in it!  I don't mean to be gross but to put it bluntly you just don't feel good!  

So what does all of this have to do with art you say? I'm not a doctor but I do want to say fellow artists and good people everywhere please take good care of yourselves!  Here are some simple remedies to keep those nasty bugs away and your body in art making shape.

1. First of all don't STRESS over the small things.  Small things for artists include not finding the right button to go on one of your creations, not making a ton of things a day, or maybe your sells are low this week. Just remember that stress is a meaningless emotion.  It doesn't make you go any faster and it's really not worth extra agitation. Stress will actually attack your immune system and lower it's effectiveness.  It also causes low energy levels and depletes whole rest.  (Whole rest meaning that while you may lay there your mind is still going a hundred miles per second making your "rest" a mindless workout.)  

So if you start to feel stressed.  RELAX. Count to 11.  I find that counting to 11 is more effective then counting to 10 and breathe in and out.  This really does work.  Then fix yourself a cup of herbal tea and go outside and drink it for about 30 minutes.  Note to self, excessive amounts of caffeine only feeds stress so lay off the caffeine and try herbal tea which is still hot like coffee but is much better for you!  

2.  Secondly eat your fruits and veggies.  Fruits and Veggies have so many good things for you like B6 and B12 Vitamins which are good energy boasters and they help your immune system stay fit.  I know you see this all the time and your momma always had to get after you to eat these nasty green things on your plate but if you don't like fruit and veggies try adding small amounts at a time on things you do like to eat.  Like I don't like bananas but when I am eating a bagel then suddenly a smearing of banana on top isn't so bad.  Another example, I hate carrots.  I mean HATE carrots but cooking them down a little and tossing them in a stir fry is great as I can't even hardly taste the carrot.  Just a few suggestions.

3.  Thirdly, exercise is really really important.  Okay this is the one that I am really bad at.  I feel like I am wasting time when I exercise and I could be doing a ton of work but really exercising only increases your work output and generates tons of energy for you and your body!  Try only 10 minutes a day and then increase it in small increments and you will soon start to see a huge difference!  It's really wonderful and people who exercise live a lot longer then those who don't.    

Okay, so if I am being a little too mom for you or a little bossy then just read this as an I told you so when you get really sick. But for those of you who have been sick and are currently sick, you all know that if you did some of these things you wouldn't have gotten sick or so badly sick.  

So artists and good people again I urge you- TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOURSELF!  You are the only one who can!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment